Courtesy of NAA:
The USDA Farm Labor Stabilization and Protection Pilot Program (FLSP) will award up to $65 million in American Rescue Plan Act funding to provide support for agricultural employers in implementing robust labor standards to promote a safe, healthy work environment for both U.S. workers and workers hired from northern Central American countries under the seasonal H-2A visa program. The program is funded by the Farm Service Agency and will be administered by the Agricultural Marketing Service and the Farm Production and Conservation Business Center.
The 2023 FLSP grant application period closes November 28, 2023.
- FLSP Notice of Funding Opportunity (NFO)
- FLSP General Terms and Conditions
- FLSP Notice of Funding Opportunity (NFO) (Spanish) – available by October 1, 2023.
The purpose of the FLSP program is to improve food and agricultural supply chain resiliency by addressing challenges agricultural employers face with labor shortages and instability. The FLSP Program seeks to advance the following Administration priorities:
- Goal 1: Drive U.S. economic recovery and safeguard domestic food supply by addressing current labor shortages in agriculture;
- Goal 2: Reduce irregular migration from Northern Central America through the expansion of regular pathways; and
- Goal 3: Improve working conditions for all farmworkers.
- Costs related to the hiring and onboarding of U.S. and H-2A workers including, for example but not limited to recruitment, applications, attorneys, and other consulting fees, etc.
- Costs related to the operations related to labor costs, such as but not limited to wages, business and administrative costs related to compliance with the program commitments, etc.
- Housing maintenance plan
- Contractor/consultant employee costs/rates
FSA Pilot Development – FSA gathered input to help shape the new grant program. As part of gathering input, FSA held virtual listening sessions and commissioned a research brief on the pilot’s concept. Learn more about the FSA listening sessions, research brief, and other material.
H-2A Visa Program – Are you a farmer who needs seasonal or temporary workers for planting, cultivating, and harvesting crops but domestic workers are in short supply? Learn more about the H2A Visa Program.