The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (Commission), in partnership with NOAA Fisheries, is issuing a Request for Proposals (RFP) seeking marine aquaculture pilot projects focused on sustainable aquatic farming techniques and regional business practices to grow U.S. domestic seafood. The geographic scope of the proposed projects is the U.S. East Coast states from Maine to Florida. The primary location of the proposed projects must be in the marine/estuarine environment. Examples of the types of pilot projects being sought through the RFP follow:
- Research and development related to the production and distribution of shellfish (other than oyster*) seed stock.
- Finfish, shellfish (other than oyster*), and seaweed farming systems, especially for those species new to aquaculture in the region or that use novel production systems.
- Identification and development of Aquaculture Development Zones with pre-planning and prepermitting for a range of aquaculture activities.
- Resolution of issues (e.g., enforcement, water quality, public trust concerns or impacts) related to open water finfish farming in state waters.
- Business incubators
- Regional market and economic impact studies