The United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, National Cold Water Marine Aquaculture Center in Orono, Maine is seeking a Research Geneticist to work with Atlantic salmon production traits.
- Conceive and plan investigations on broad and complex problems related to the genetic basis of economically important phenotypes.
- Employ experimental techniques of quantitative genetics, genomics and chromosome set manipulation.
- Collaborate with growers, geneticists, breeders and other scientists from university, industry and ARS locations.
- Provide the industry with improved germplasm and represents the NCWMAC to academic institutions, industry and the public in scientific and/or technical discussions.
- Develop new strategies for genetic improvement including novel selection criteria for traits and genomic selection.
- Use Best Linear Unbiased Prediction (BLUP) software or other similar software to calculate breeding values of animals.