I would like to personally thank you for your support for the United States Trout Farmers Association (USTFA). Memberships are the lifeblood of our association, without which, we would be unable to continue our mission of protecting and promoting businesses like yours throughout the entire trout farming industry. I hope that you continue to support USTFA by renewing your membership this year.
Below is a brief list of some of our recent work and current activities:
- Assisting in the development of an aquaculture literacy and outreach session and networking event at Aquaculture America 2023 in New Orleans, along with the Maine Aquaculture Association (MAA) and other PR and outreach professionals.
- Continuing to keep industry members informed via Trout Talk and USTFA member updates.
- Organizing the 2023 USTFA fall conference, which will be held in Hershey, Pennsylvania, September 12 – 14, 2023. Mark your calendars!
- Developed a national campaign to promote U.S. farm-raised trout consumption and recreational fishing opportunities. Campaign directives include (but are not limited to):
- Full redevelopment the org website, which includes more streamlined information and navigation, ability to join online, a recipes page, and much more.
- Development of org, a map and directory of USTFA members’ products and services.
- Development of USTFA merchandise and “Proudly Grown” branding assets.
- Increased viewership of Trout Talk by increased publication frequency and digitization.
- Increased online industry exposure via increased social media presence and online advertisements.
- Organized and hosted a successful and well-attended annual USTFA conference in Twin Falls, Idaho.
- Awarded Leo Ray with USTFA’s Clark and Mimi White Distinguished Service Award.
- Hosted a Trout Forum at Aquaculture America 2022 in San Diego, California.
- Engaged the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) to oppose proposed rulemaking that would significantly reduce recreational fishing opportunities throughout Pennsylvania.
- Joined the coalition to oppose Washington Department of Natural Resources ruling to ban net pen fish farming in Washington state waters.
- Supported multiple grant projects aimed at furthering research, interest, and consumption of trout and steelhead.
- Worked with and supported the National Aquaculture Association (NAA) on:
- Catastrophic Disaster Assistance: To further integrate aquaculture into the USDA Emergency Livestock, Honey-Bee and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP).
- Transportation: Reversed a USDA Export program decision to stop endorsing health certificates.
- Research: Conducting a two-year programmatic review of the five USDA Regional Aquaculture Centers (RAC) to recommend improvements to USDA and support additional funds for applied research, answering farmer questions and solving on-farm challenges.
- Regulation: Successfully challenged the use of environmental DNA sampling as a state regulatory tool and are challenging federal use of eDNA for surveillance, regulation, and public reporting.
We hope that you will renew your membership with USTFA for another year. You can do so by submitting your dues via the membership invoice sent on January 10th or via our website. If you are not yet a member with USTFA and wish to become one, please submit your application here. If you are a member and did not receive a membership invoice, please contact us.
If you have any questions or concerns, now or in the future, our Administrator, Michael Lee can be reached at email@example.com and will be happy to assist you with all USTFA matters.
Again, we truly appreciate your support for USTFA. We look forward to continuing to serve you and members like you.
Mark Ely, President